ARVALIS - Institut du végétal is a French technical institute in charge of applied research on cereals, potatoes, flax, tobacco and forage crops. It is run and financed by farmers. It aims at developing and providing tools, techniques and services to farmers, agricultural organizations and companies in order to produce more and better in the context of an evolving European and international rule-based environment and economics. Operating from the field scale to post-harvest stages and first processes, ARVALIS works closely with breeders and input firms, as well as feed, food and non-food industries. As an applied research institute, it interfaces with French and international basic research infrastructures such as INRA, IRSTEA, and universities (collaborating through various research projects), and the development organisms such as Chambers of Agriculture and economic operators.
Role in the project
- contribute to work package 1 by involving its Crop Simulation Model (CHN) to explore the probability of occurrence the stress scenarios and design the Data Management Plan.
- be in charge of some semi-field and field trials carried out in its research stations in work package 2 (acting as co-leader of work package 2) and work package 4.
- contribute to work package 3 by carrying out trials on bread and durum wheat aimed to assess microbial inoculants and fertilizer additives and real-time remote sensing and models incorporating genotype-dependent information. ARVALIS will contribute to enabling technology results it has co-acquired with INRA during the breed/wheat project on tolerance of wheat to both nitrogen and drought as individual stresses.
- contribute to work package 5 by providing and managing an on-farm network based on conventional durum wheat production under Mediterranean climate in order to test and evaluate novel genotypes and agroecosystem management innovations in field conditions.
Key persons involved
- Dr. Florence Leprince
- Jean-Pierre Cohan, Co-leader work package 2
- Stéphane Jezequel
- Josiane Lorgeou
- Baptiste Soenen
- Katia Beauchêne
- Delphine Hourcade